What Happens to Fat When We Lose It?

0
136

Majority of adults in the US are either overweight or obese, and half of these people are even engaged in active weight-losing lifestyle. It’s therefore very essential for you to be updated of the most accurate information regarding weight loss.

The fundamental thing to remember here, of course, is to have a healthy and balanced diet paired with a regular challenging exercise. But did it ever cross your mind where the fats that you lose actually end up?

What Happens to Fat When We Lose It?

You lose weight when the energy you burn is more than what you take in. You then get rid of these burned fats as you exhale them as carbon dioxide, according to research led by Dr. Ruben Meerman, an Australian physicist.

 According to the research, 84% of the fats are excreted as carbon dioxide while the remaining 16% comes out of the body through perspiration, urination, crying, and in the form of bodily fluids.

What Happens to Fat As You Gain It?

Excess fats in younger women amass in adipose tissue found in the breasts, buttocks, hips, and thighs.  When women reach their menopausal stage, these excess fats accumulate gradually more around the abdomen.

For men, the locations of these stored fats do not change in their lifetime – they can be found mainly around the stomach region.

If you are eating well and doing work-outs like strength-training and you notice that you are gaining weight, this is likely because of the build-up of muscles in your body.

Types of Fats

White Fat

This type makes up the bulk of fats in your body. It stores energy, sustains body warmth, protects the vital organs, and produces estrogens and other hormones related to appetite.

White fat can be classified into two: the visceral fat, which increases the risk of diabetes and heart disease, and the subcutaneous fat, which is less dangerous than the visceral fat.

Brown Fat

Often called as “good fat”, brown fat is the type that burns calories. It is plentiful in babies and decreases with age.

A study revealed that exercise can convert white fat to beige fat, which is another type of fat that also burns calories.

It was also found that exposure to cold climates help brown fats burn more calorie.

 Tips for Getting Rid of Body Fat 

  1. Lessen your intake of sugar and sweetened drinks.
    Swap your sweetened beverages for water to stay hydrated.
  2. Mind the size of your portion.
    If possible, measure your food with portion-control containers for more precise measurement.
  3. Workout consistently.
    The most effective forms of exercise to burn body fat are strength-training and High-intensity interval training (HIIT). Any kind of exercise can actually help, for as long as you do it regularly and eat a healthy, balanced diet.